Monday 6 April 2009

Skip-dwelling Toilet Duck-drinker


I bought an album by The Pogues over the weekend.

I used to have their greatest hits in college and would often listen to it when we were drinking in Corrib Village or trying to impress exchange students with how incredibly Oirish we were.

Foolishly, I lent it to a friend who lost the CD and, being a student, he couldn't afford to buy me a new one. If you're reading this now Jack, I hear the pay is decent for teachers (especially if you consider what their hourly rate adds up to) so feel free to pay your dues whenever the mood takes you.

Unpaid debts aside, it was a joy to renew my relationship with Shane and the lads over the weekend. For someone who looks like he has spent most of his life in a skip, drinking Toilet Duck, McGowan has (had?) an amazing talent for putting together some genuinely touching lyrics.

This line from A rainy night in Soho one is one of my favourites;


'I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're class @ its best now John try listening to the next pogues... a band from London with Mayo connections called bible code sundays.........Unreal!

dashoge said...

I definitely will, "The Next Pogues" is an incredibly hard title to live up to though.